Well, don’t get used to this much updating but I’m back, with another post!
Yesterday I bought a Kindle, which wasn’t strictly planned but serendipity has its own ways and means and had settled this for me last week. So it wasn’t like I didn’t know it was going to happen and could thus make plans.
Now, Kindles are small. Tiny, even. Lightweight and utterly terrifying to contemplate it sliding around in my handbag unprotected. Kindle covers however, have their own pitfalls, esp. the official ones, also, they’re boring. Boooorrrrriiiing!
So, here is Frankencover, my own monster which started life as Chica & Jo’s Custom cover and ended up, with a little bit of ‘oops!’/mother of invention slightly off pattern.
The main change to the pattern was that I ran out of material before I could fit the final two pieces of card in the tube, a combination of slightly suspect measuring (I don’t do imperial and there’s always the possibility of oops when converting) and not being able to sew as close to the card as I should have. So, I folded over the end of the tube/flap and hemmed it with enough space to fit some ribbon through as a decorative but also mostly functional bow. The main security is provided by the elastic, which I flipped around to the other side of the tube when I realised that I was going to have to wander into the land of necessity.
It doesn’t stand up as the Chica and Jo pattern does but it protects my Kindle and gives me something to hold while reading. There’s a couple things to fix still – I may well change the ribbon and when I do/decide to leave it, I’ll do a couple quick lines of stitches to hold the ribbon firmly in the tube and the threads need a bit of tidying up.
The card is greycard which I bought a large A5-ish sized sheet of from Cass Arts and the fabric is a fat-quarter I got in this bundle from Fabric Loft. The ribbon was leftovers from the hen party I held last year with the lovely makedomenders for my best friend.